Sunday, February 17, 2008

It's true what they say about Swedish backpackers...

My first night at the hostel in Big White I woke up to the piercing sound of a fire alarm at 1:30 in the morning. I stumbled in the dark and half fell off the top bunk of my bed. Not wanting to be another Childers style victim, I and several others hauled our arses into the freezing cold. Eventually the fire truck rolled up form the fire station 300 metres down the road. We were told that it was a false alarm set off by some guy smoking in his room in the lodges that adjoin the building. The alarm stopped and we all went back to bed.

I bought a season ski pass off a guy who's leaving today for $150 which is pretty good value since a day pass costs about $60. So for the next 3 weeks my name is Lauchlin McGonigal.

I did some skiing and realised that I'm unfit. My thighs are killing me.

Last night there was a big party for a group of Swedish guys and girls who are leaving here today. They had been here 3 months so it was kind of a big deal.

It's true what they say about Swedish backpackers. The Swedish girls are kind of hot. The Swedish guys are kind of crazy.

We started the night in the hostel's kitchen and then eventually the group moved out to Snowshoe Sam's, the local watering hole. Snowshoe Sam's is exactly like the Mad Cow except half the people are from Melbourne and there are no AJ's. The dance floor is also a little bigger. I had a few drinks of Canadian Club and Cola.

At about 1am the place closed. I went back to the hostel, drunk dialed a few people and then went to bed.

1 comment:

Michael Baldwin said...

I do hope you held your end up for Australia - as it were.